Hi!!

If you don't already know or maybe its been a while since we have chatted. My name is Shirley Arreola-Kern, and I am a GRADUATE of Ellensburg High School! Go Dawgs! Also I am currently studying "abroad" aka out of state at Illinois Institute of Technology! I WAS majoring in Aerospace Engineering and am now loving every minute of Political Science Pre-Law!! One wierd thing I found that I like is Technical Drawing, which is why I am getting a minor in Engineering Graphics! I would love to hear from you just drop a note for me! Have a wonderful Day!
Love and Blessings,
Shirls

Friday, March 9, 2012

The never ending story of looking for and getting an Intership!

Every college student out there that is looking to find a job after graduation can understand the frustration of finding an internship. The problem for me is not finding the ones I want to do right now, since I have already found 3. The problem is the process that follows these amazing discoveries. You might think you apply, they interview, you get the job. Not so much when all of the groups I applied to are out of state (or country). The process is a little more like this:

1)Fill out Application
Every single one has a different application, with varying questions, information you should know off the top of you head. And lets not forget the next two things!

2)Post Resume and Cover Letter
Every resume and cover letter have to be altered to include the organization or company name. It also needs why you want to be a part of the company, all for different reason.

(2.5) If necessary submit not so good transcript)
obviously not my favorite part!

3) Submit Essays

These can be from a 250-2000 word essays on the different things they feel relate to the company and how you will benefit them!

4)Online Interview

Take a interview using online servers that check to see if you are a reliable, hard working person. Some companies do not do this but some do.

5)Phone Interview

Since all of the jobs are over 400 miles away, I get to do a phone interview. Talk about nerve wracking! Everyone thinks that in-person interviews are way harder, I would like to contradict this. You cannot see the person, you do pick up on their non-verbal signs. You second guess every answer, but enjoy every agonizing minute as you realize you are one step closer!

6) The hardest and worst part of this WAIT 2-4 WEEKS to hear back...aaaahhh
I am currently on week one for all 3 of them, and anyone that knows me well knows I am not a very patient person when something I want is on the line. All of these opportunities will come with costs but they will not be ones I cannot cope with paying. Except for maybe the plane tickets there which vary from 400 to close to 2,500. Yup its gonna be a fun 3 more weeks.

7) Accept with an excited noise and travel the lands to go work!

Although this will require the most work, everything will hopefully pay off!!

But as the Day Ends here I must stop to pray for another day and stop typing!! Have a wonderful time in all your doings!!
Love and Blessings
Shirley

No comments:

Post a Comment